There’s no real debate over whether or not epoxy grout is a superior product compared to cement-based grout. There’s plenty of evidence that cement-based grout is porous and subject to damage from weather and extremely moist conditions. Cement-based grout can crack and peel over time, and without sealing, it’s lifespan is greatly compromised. Still, many professionals continue to use cement-based grout because epoxy grout has a reputation for being difficult to work with. The truth is, this isn’t the case at all. This misconception stems from the fact that in its infancy, epoxy grout was difficult to apply and had a pot life of around 45 minutes. Epoxy grout has come a long way since then. In fact, today some epoxy grouts contain proprietary chemistry that make it easier to clean up, thus easier to work with.
In contrast to porous cement grout, epoxy grout does not need to be sealed and is extremely durable, making it ideal for all conditions, including extreme weather, damp environments, and areas prone to heavy traffic. Epoxy grout is ideal for indoor or outdoor use as well as bathrooms, showers, and even swimming pools, which is something that cannot be said about cement grout.
Epoxy grout is easy to install. Here’s how to install epoxy grout in 5 steps:
1. Prepare the area where you will be installing your tiles or mosaics. Make sure the surfaces are clean and that you have plenty of room to work. It’s best to install epoxy grout at room temperature. Ideal temperature range for epoxy grout installation is 60°F and 85°F. The cooler the room is, the more cure time there will be for the epoxy grout. Clean the area where you will be installing the grout thoroughly.
2. Arrange your tools. Have everything you need close at hand. This allows you to work without interruption. Grout mixture, trowel, electric drill with mixing paddle, a bucket of water, a scrubpad, and a dry sponge are the items you will need.
3. Mix grout. Litokol Starlike epoxy grout, distributed exclusively by the Tile Doctor, is easy to mix. Simply open the container of paste (part A), open the pouch containing the catalyst (part B) and mix the two together, pouring all of part B into Part A. Blend the two together thoroughly, ensuring an even mix. We recommend using an electric drill to blend the two parts together thoroughly, then further mixing with the trowel before application. Different brands of grout have varying instructions, so you will need to follow the instructions for the grout you are using. When mixed properly with a margin trowel to insure all components are blended, epoxy grout should have a soft, smooth consistency. In cold settings, epoxy grout will have a stiffer consistency, which is why it is so important to keep the room at the correct temperature and avoid installation in cold or hot weather.
4. Apply grout to dry joints using the Tile Doctor’s special Green Epoxy Hard Rubber Float. Remove excess of product using the rubber float.
5. The grout work must be cleaned and finished while the product is still wet. This should be done in the shortest time possible. Take care not to remove product from the joints or leave stains on the tile surface. To start this process, first sprinkle clean water over the grouted surface. Start cleaning by using the Tile Doctor’s white scrub pad and plenty of water, then use the typical hydro sponge to do the final cleaning. If there is a haze remaining after using the sponge this can be polished off with a cloth once the grout has started to set or come back 24 hours later and use the Tile Doctor Haze Remover with a white scrub pad.
You’ll find that installing a high-quality epoxy grout like Starlike grout is less difficult than working with cement grout, and the end result will be a much more durable, long-lasting grout installation.
The Tile Doctor is the exclusive distributor of Litokol Starlike Grout, which is the absolute best grout on the market. Starlike Grout from the Tile Doctor is by far the easiest, safest epoxy grout on the market, designed with safety, aesthetics, and easy workability in mind. Litokol products are trusted and respected in the construction and design industry worldwide, making Starlike Grout the leading designer grout. Starlike grout is non-toxic and safe for installers, consumers, pets, and the environment. It’s extremely easy to work with and strong enough to stand up to even the toughest conditions, ensuring your tile installations will last for many years. Starlike Grout is stain resistant and perfect for indoor or outdoor use in extreme conditions, including areas where there will be heavy traffic, moisture, and exposure to the elements. When you’re looking for superior quality, there is no better epoxy grout choice than Starlike grout.
Starlike Grout is also known for its aesthetic qualities. With over 159 colors and finishes, Starlike grout is the leading designer grout in the world. Starlike grout features classic colors in the Starlike Classic Grout Collection and bolder colors in the Starlike Glamour Grout Colors Collection. Whatever you’re looking for, you’ll find a range of colors and textures at the Tile Doctor, including Starlike Crystal Glass Grout Jewels for bringing a touch of brilliant sparkle to your projects or our Starlike Metallic Grout Collection to give the appeal of metal.
Another product, Starlike Decor, is an epoxy decorative finish that can be mixed with Starlike grout to create a mortar can be applied as a wall finish for creating low-thickness decorative finishes on interior walls. This allows you to cover the walls with the same material and the same color as the grout. The versatile range of applications possible with Starlike, from the decorative finishing possibilities
to using it as an adhesive for mosaic and glass installations, make Starlike the best choice for all of your grout needs.
There is no wider range of colors anywhere than at the Tile Doctor. Starlike grout lets you exercise your artistic side with the absolute best designer grout color choices in the industry. When you want to settle for the best, choose the safest, easiest, most durable grout available, Starlike grout.
Contact the Tile Doctor today to learn more about Starlike grout and our line of sealers, cleaners, and maintenance products for your tile installation projects. Call us at 1-877-TileDoc(845-3362) and let us show you how easy to install epoxy grout can be.